Tuesday, September 6, 2011

NTP -- Day 4 Pilate Addressing the Crowd


(These pictures remind me of this scene. The actor who played the part of Pilate was amazing.  He was up on a balcony like this and we were on the ground looking up.)

Day 4 --  TUESDAY SEPTEMBER 6TH
PILATE ADDRESSING THE CROWD
MATT 27, JOHN 18
 I was so happy to receive this call.  I wasn’t sure if this was the scene that I would want to participate in but I was glad to go back on set.  I found a nice lady on the ride board that was willing to drive.  She lived in Layton and she picked me up along with 2 others.  It was a nice ride down with 4 people.  We got to know each other and share all of our experiences filming.
We went on the set and this time I was finally in the city of Jerusalem.  I was so glad to finally get to see the inside.  This is part of the script: 
THE BALCONY 
PILATE glares down at the CROWD (WHICH INCLUDES JOHN, MARY, MARY MAGDALENE AND MARTHA).
PILATE  
Ye have brought this man unto me as one that perverteth the people! I have examined him before you and find no fault with this man touching those things whereof you accuse him! I have sent him to Herod. He has found that nothing worthy of death has been done!
I will therefore chastise him and release him! Despite the energy of his scolding and what he has declared, the mob is going to have none of his conclusion. PILATE seems to have expected this and quickly offers a compromise.
PILATE
According to your custom at this time of year, one prisoner shall be released. PILATE nods to the GUARDS and a MAN, shackled hand and foot, is brought to the balcony.  It is clearly the hope of PILATE that the crowd will make the right and proper choice.
 CAIAPHAS
Barabbas! Free Barabbas! His minions chime in with him... and then the MOB...
 THE MOB
Barabbas! Barabbas! Barabbas!  PILATE glares down at them in disbelief.
 PILATE
What shall I do then with Jesus, who Is called, The Christ?
CAIAPHAS
Crucify Him!
 THE MOB
Crucify Him!
 We see JOHN, MARY, MARY MAGDALENE AND MARTHA. MARY cries out something in defense of her son, but cannot be heard over the blood thirsty chant of the MOB.
 PILATE -- MOMENTS LATER ...dipping his hands into a BASIN OF WATER and symbolically washes them.
PILATE
I am innocent of the blood of this just person: See ye to it.  PILATE leaves and JESUS is led away.
I definitely did not like being part of the bad crowd but I just had to keep telling myself that I was just acting.  This time I did not want to be on film because of the nature of the acting but I happened to be standing right behind Mary and John so most likely I will be seen yelling “crucify!”  Sorry…. Once again I was just acting.
We filmed the same scene a few times.  We were shifted around so that it would seem as if we were a bigger crowd.  The interesting thing on this day was that after one of the takes when we yelled “crucify” the sky roared with thunder and then it began to rain.  We continued to film, and since most of us did not want to yell "crucify", we thought that it was a nice touch from heaven!


No comments: