Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Guatemala Day 2 - La Capital to Rio Dulce July 31


Sunday morning.
We wanted to go to our ward in Guatemala but also wanted to see the chapel where my parents first went to, where they met, and attended before getting married. 

We got up and got dressed and had breakfast. Zildy and Jonas bought this fruit, I don't remember the name, but look at that amazing color. It was delicious also! We had cereal and lots of fruit for breakfast. That's why we went to the supermarket the day before.

We first drove to the church where my parents started out in. It is in Zona 9. It had a fence around it and someone had to come out to let us in. 

We walked down the hallways but we had to be quiet because church services were going on.

This hallway in this church building is where my mom had a confirmation that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints was true. Missionaries taught her and her sister Yoli at the same time. They brought them to church one week and as they were walking in (a little late) my mom heard the congregation singing "Silent Prayer". She said she had a warm feeling and it felt like she was walking into Heaven. It was at that moment that she decided to be baptized. I love my mom and her quiet strength and dedication to the gospel. Her testimony is a rock and she is a great example to me and all of her posterity.  While we were there I likewise felt the Holy Ghost testify to me of the truthfulness of the gospel. 

From two to 25 Fajardos (only 14 on this trip). 

After our visit to the chapel in zona 9 we came over to attend sacrament meeting in the church building and ward that we belonged to while we lived in Guatemala. I think CR is acting as our tour guide is this picture.

We were there a few minutes early and the choir was practicing so we sat and enjoyed for a few minutes. Sacrament meeting was great! It seemed really small in numbers but there were some wonderful talks and it was great to worship in Spanish once again.


When we were little Derick and I had a wonderful care-taker and we ran into her at church. Her name is Anita. She was so happy to see us. I of course did not remember her at all but she is so sweet and kind. We had to take some pictures and I told her I would mail her one. 

These kids are awesome and they found ways to stay entertained.

We have a picture of us in this same spot when we were little. I guess my mom was not in the original picture and I did not want to climb up on the ledge.


Our family in Guatemala with a photo bomber in the back (Brianna!)

My brother Julio and his son Cedric. So handsome!

After church we had to get on our way to Rio Dulce. I had never been to this area of the country before. My mom had been but when she was young. So it was a new experience for all of us. It was about a 4 hour drive and we had been advised not to drive at night. Right after church we started our drive. We had to stop and get some food and we stopped at this restaurant called Sarita.


Our ginormous group!
My view during a portion of the drive.

And it got dark! And dark literally means dark! But we had to keep driving to our destination!

This was a fun and adventurous drive and arrangement that Zildy set up for us. We drove to Mariscos and from there we had to take a boat to where we would be staying on Denny's Beach. We had a hard time locating the meeting place cause it was dark and there were not signs anywhere. We finally found it ad then we had to unload and get into a couple of boats! What?! What were we doing? Who were these people taking us on boats? Should we trust them? I guess so! We were all together that's what was important. 


This poor guy was like "all of this luggage! How do we take it all?"

We were on two boats and for some reason all of the boys ended up in one boat and all of the girls  in another. Lake Izabal is huge and it was so dark! What a different but fun experience!

We finally made it to Denny's beach. Starving of course so we had to get some food. It seemed like no one else was at the resort but us? 

We did have to wait a while to get our food but after all there were a lot of us and the same guys that picked us up on the boats were the ones that took us to our rooms and the same ones that cooked and served our food. A great ending to a great day!


The only video of the day. 

No comments: