Monday, April 16, 2007

177th Annual General Conference

General Conference brings much sunshine into my life and is one of my favorite times of the year. I love to be inspired by the talks. On Saturday we watched conference at home with Lele and Eric. Now that the kids are a little older they can sit through conference doing quiet things and listen at the same time. In between sessions we went to the "Castle Park" and the kids got to play for a little while and get some energy out. Then we came back home and watched the second session.

At night during the Priesthood Session we went to Salt Lake and met up with Z and Mami. I took all my five kids and ventured into the crowded Deseret Book for the festivities. We got to see Jenny Phillips perform and one of the back of singers was Marianne M. from our previous ward. It was so fun to see them perform. They both have beautiful voices. We left a little early so that we would not get stuck in traffic but then G was so mad cause she had not eaten for a while that we stopped in Bountiful so I could feed her. I thought she would be happy the rest of the way but I was wrong. She still screamed. The rest of the kids just thought that was terrible. When we got home we started our week long Spring Break Ice Cream Fest.

Sunday we watched Conference at our house with "everyone" and had Mami's Enchiladas with ice cream for dessert (of course).

A couple of favorites from conference:
* Pres. Hinckley always tells us to "Be a little better". That's something we can always do!
* Elder R. G. Scott spoke on the power of prayer. He told us we do not need an appointment and he said to just talk. He told us to be thankful that sometimes God lets us struggle for a long time before an answer comes, because then our character will grow and our faith will increase.
* Elder J. R. Holland told us that words are sacred. This was one of my favorite!! He said that words are like deeds, they should be filled with faith, hope and charity. We need to speak carefully to our spouses and children. Words can hurt more than actions sometimes. I really liked this: "no misfortune is so bad that whining about it won't make it worse."
* Elder J. E. Jensen (70's) spoke on the importance of hymns inviting the Spirit of the Lord into our lives.
* Pres. J. E. Faust spoke on Forgiveness. He spoke of the Amish tragedy of the man that shot and killed five Amish school girls and then killed himself. He explained how the community forgave him. We have much to learn from that. We sometimes tend to have a hard time forgiving people for small acts they commit against us. But to be Christlike we must forgive everyone all of the time.

Conference was actually on March 30 and April 1 but I am trying to catch up. I wish I could change the date on the blogs so that it would look like I wrote when I am supposed to.

No comments: