Thursday, October 4, 2007

Sweet 16 Surprise

K being surprised!


Is it really true? One entry is about my 9 month old baby and the other about my 16 year old daughter?

When I was YW President in our previous ward, the YW began a tradition of having a surprise party for each other for their 16th birthdays. They all knew it was coming but it was a challenge to make it a surprise in one way or another. So naturally K was waiting for her party. She even wrote it on her wish list. She asked me about it and I truthfully told her that there was no way that I could give her a surprise party cause first of all I don’t like to plan parties, I explained that I didn’t know who I would invite, and if K gave me information then it would not be a surprise. Another aspect of the whole thing was that her friend K that turns 16 the day after was also in our YW and I felt a need to do it for her also. When would I have time anyways??? I am already really busy. I really meant what I said. Then I saw a few tears well up in her eyes and my heart just melted. So after thinking about it. I decided that I should do it.

I made these “confidential folder” invitations and mailed them out to who ever I could think of. She normally walks to ballet from school but since it was her b-day she wanted me to take her to ballet. I had to say ok, since she didn’t know that I had a hundred other things that I had to do and she needed to be treated special that day. So I had to make the cake and other preparations and then hide them while she came home for half an hour. I hadn’t told the other kids yet because I didn’t want them to spoil the surprise. They were so excited when they found out.

KC picked her up from ballet and called me to ask me if he needed to stop by the store and that was my cue that they were close. We had about 15 girls show up. It was a combined party of friends from before we moved and now. K walked in and she just stood there in shock. It was kind of funny she didn’t know what to do. I think she loved it though. We had Sloppy Joes for dinner with watermelon and chips. (No veggies for sure, it was K’s party after all.) The girls just talked and talked and laughed. K went back and forth between friends. I caught up with my Young Women who are not so young anymore.

I thought the whole thing turned out ok. And it was a fun party for K. I think she enjoyed being with all of her friends.



1 comment:

Kailee said...

I'm not sure I ever read this post before! It's so cute! And seriously, that was probably the best birthday ever, so thanks mama llama :)