Saturday, August 13, 2011

New Testament Video Project Pre-Production

This might be a long post but it well overdue.  (I have actually broken it down into the pre-production and each day on set so that the post wasn't so long.)  I wanted to finish the project and catch up with the other posts before writing about this.  I have been involved with this project for  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The church is putting together many short vignettes portraying important scenes from the life of Jesus Christ and the Apostles.

A set was built for the filming of this project.  It is in Goshen, UT (it's about 20 miles south of Provo and then about 10 miles west in the middle of no-where).  The set cannot be seen from any roads.  You have to drive on a dirt road, enter through a gate and pass security to be able to get in close enough to see the set.  Once there it is an amazing site.  It is hard to describe because I have never been to Jerusalem but as far as I can tell it looks really close to the real thing.

Here are a few links if you are interested in learning more information about this project.


Here are a few pictures of the set that I gathered from the internet.  We are not allowed to post pictures taken on set anywhere.






Sometime around October 2010, I saw a poster posted in the church that was encouraging people to sign up to participate in this project.  I thought it might be fun and I seem to have the look that they were seeking, so I signed up myself, CR and S.  I also found out that C had also signed up previously.  I thought G was too young.  KC would have liked to sign up (since he is really the actor in the family) but he didn't want to grow a beard.  It didn't even cross my mind to tell K to sign up cause of her busy schedule.  In January they had auditions for speaking parts.  C went and auditioned.  I had never done this before so I didn't want to audition (that's scary to me).  I just wanted to be an extra.  I had forgotten all about this when I received this email in March:

Dear L,
Thank you for applying for the “New Testament” film production!  Over the last few months, we have received over 10,000 applications from around the world.  We are grateful for the tremendous response we've had from so many people willing to participate.  As you know, the film set and schedule can only accommodate a small percentage of this vast outpouring and you are among those chosen few! 
This e-mail is to let you know you have made the FIRST-CUT and are currently being considered as an EXTRA or Featured Extra for the “New Testament” film project. 

If you are still interested and able to participate, please allow your hair (and beard, if male) to grow.

I was thrilled to have the opportunity to participate in such a big project.  I was still not guaranteed to participate but I was getting closer.

At the end of April I received an email requesting my availability dates.  They said that a filming day is typically 12-14 hours.
 In June I received this email:
 If you are receiving this email it means you made it past nearly 11,000 applicants to get through the first cut, which is an accomplishment in and of itself. However, as we near shooting time (estimated for early August), it is time to make second cuts. Thank you to those of you who have already submitted your availability dates. This will be very helpful as we make final  decisions.
Once again they asked for updated pictures.
At the end of July I received this email:
 Dear Applicant,Thank you for your patience! We understand that it has been a very long process. We have been delayed because we received an updated script and schedule just this week. We are working diligently to assess our needs so that we may schedule as many of you as we can, as quickly as possible. Regarding the second cut mentioned in previous emails, this email is to inform you that instead of multiple cuts, the next cut made will be final. We know many of you are anxious to receive the results of this cut as well as shooting schedules and we will get those out as soon as possible. You will be notified either way as to whether you will be needed or not.
They also requested my clothing and shoe sizes at this time.
I was getting anxious at this point and I wanted to know one way or the other.  I was really hoping to participate!!!
 But I hadn't heard anything so I made plans to attend Education Week with the girls.  We were planning on going on Monday August 15th.  But since we all know that many times things don't go as planned...
Finally on Thursday, August 11th I received this email:
 Hello!Thank you for your patience! Congratulations, this is your official acceptance letter for the New Testament production! We would like you to participate as a background player on Monday, August 15th, 2011.
So much for Education Week.  But I felt that this filming was once in a lifetime experience and I was not going to miss it.  I did call BYU and they allowed me to trade for a different day.  At least I had already arranged to be gone from work for the day.
Saturday nigh on August 13th I received this email:
Hello! This email is to apprise you that you will be part of a special group of background players that will be in the scene with John the Baptist, and you will be getting baptized. As such, you will be getting wet.
When I got this email I was out shopping.  I got this amazing feeling of joy. Tears swelled up in my eyes.  I knew this would be one of those experiences in my life that would be very meaningful.
Late Saturday I received my call time:
PROJECT:  New Testament film
RE:  Call Time, Monday, August 15, 2011 -- 6:30 AM 
 Dear Background Actor, 
Thank you for confirming that you will be on set this Monday!  We will be shooting 2 scenes and will need you in both:
EXT. JORDAN RIVER -- John the Baptist baptizes Jesus
EXT. JORDAN RIVER -- John the Baptist preaches
This will require a full day.  Please plan to be on set as long as necessary to finish the scenes and until you are released. As you have been made aware, you will be one of those either (1) in the river; (2) at the edge of the river; or (3) wet, having been in the river (having been baptized).  After this scene, you will then change your wardrobe (into something dry) and participate as “Followers” listening to John the Baptist preach.  What a GREAT day to be on set!
Wow. 6:30 am in Goshen.  That would be an 1 1/2 to 2 hour drive from home!  I would have to leave early to say the least.  But it didn't matter!  I was filming this very special scene!!!
When I woke up Sunday morning I had another email from Casting:
Hello! Thank you for your patience! Congratulations, this is your official acceptance letter for the New Testament production! We would like you and your child to participate as background players on Tuesday, August 16th, 2011.  You will be in a scene where Christ is blessing the little children. We would like to use CR as well as L who will be playing a mother in the scene. We would like to issue a gentle reminder that it is imperative that your children be well behaved while on set. Please explain to them as best as you can the nature of the scene so that they can be prepared. 

Two days in a row?  But I had to do it.  CR would get the opportunity to participate!  What a special experience for both of us!

The following posts will give more details on each of the days on the set.












No comments: