Monday, April 29, 2013

New York City Day 3

Thursday April 4, 2013

The first thing we had to do on Thursday was go and get our Explorer Passes.  For a discounted price we got tickets to 5 attractions of our choice.  We had to get these at the NBC store at the Rockefeller Center. 

We could see them filming though the window.  No one wanted to get up early to see them on the plaza but at least we got to see them.


Our next stop was the subway on the way to the 9/11 Memorial.  



We made it, we had to go through security and then we were in.  It was somber place.  The fountains are a beautiful way to remember the events of that day and all the people that died because of it.  Everytime I think of 9/11 I remember the events of that day.  I was getting my young children ready for school when my sister in law Cat (that lives in Boston) called me and and asked me if I was watching tv? I said no? Then she said to turn it on and as soon as I did I saw the second plane hit the second tower.  I was just in shock! No words could describe the horror.  That entire day and the following days we spent watching the destruction and watching the news to get some answers. I am grateful to live in the USA.  I wish peace could be had throughout the world between countries and people.  I am grateful for the sacrifice of many to keep our country safe and to protect our freedom!




Mary Alice Wahlstrom and her daugher Carolyn were on one of the planes that crashed.  They are from Utah and I have the priviledge of knowing her daughter in law Margaret.  I have worked with her in Nutcracker.  We had to find their name and remember this amazing family.  There are so many names listed around the fountains.  


Our next stop was the boat ride to the Statue of Liberty.  It was only a few blocks (by now we were used to walking all over the place) so we walked down Wall Street.



The five girls.

The five moms! (L, Cheryl, Amy, Monica, & Brenda)


The Zephyr.  The ship that took us close up to see the Statue of Liberty.  Ellis Island is closed because of Hurricane Sandy that destroyed a many things around the coast in New York City including manking the island not safe.  It is scheduled to reopen on July 4, 2013.

Inside the Zephyr having a snack.  

And there she is... The Statue of Liberty!




After the Statue of Liberty ride we walked to Chinatown and Little Italy.  We were so hungry and as we walked down the street in Little Italy and there were people trying to get us to come in to eat.  We finally settled on:

The sat us outside but we were so cold that the girls asked for them to move us inside.  Luckily they did and we enjoyed our food a lot more this way I think.

After that we went to see the Empire State Building

Beautiful view!!!

A little windy!

Then it was time for the Lion King!  The theater was next door to our hotel.  Nice not to have to walk this time.



Miles walked Thursday:  8.8 miles

No comments: